Curry Puff is definitely a must try in Malay cuisine. It is a small pie consisting of thick curry paste with chicken and potatoes.
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup water
1 large egg
½ cup butter
½ tablespoon oil
1 yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
2 stalk curry leaves
2 tablespoon curry powder
250g ground chicken
- Cut the yellow onion and garlic cloves into a few smaller pieces.
- Wash the potatoes and peel of the skin.
- Then cut the potatoes into a few smaller cubes.
- Wash off the curry leaves and peel it off from the stalk.
- Gather all purpose flour, salt, baking powder in a bowl.
- Add in the butter and use the pastry cutter to cut into a few smaller cubes.
- Next , add water and egg to mix it until a dough forms.
- Then remove the dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Once it’s smooth enough, wrap in a wrapping film and keep in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- While waiting for it, heat up the Samu Giken Multifunctional Cooker then add oil, yellow onion and garlic to cook till it turns a yellowish color.
- Then add in the ground chicken, curry powder and curry leaves.
- Next, add in cube size potatoes and water.
- Stir until no water remains and make sure not to mash the potatoes when you stir it.
- Once the potatoes are softened, remove the curry into a big bowl to cool down.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and divide it into 2 portions.
- Then roll 1 portion dough into 0.25” thickness, use a 4.5” round cutter to cut as many round shapes you can. Repeat for the second portion of dough.
- Then before start filling, lightly moisten the edge of the round dough, and scoop 2 teaspoon curry chicken filling on the round dough.
- Fold the round dough into half over the curry chicken filling, then use a fork to crimp the edge together,
- Next, brush some egg liquid on the surface of the puff, set it aside, repeat with the remaining filling and dough.
- Preheat the Samu Giken Air Fryer at 400c for 5 minutes.
- Once the Samu Giken Air Fryer is heat enough, place the chicken curry puff in the air fryer basket and bake for 10 minutes in batches.